Thursday, May 10, 2012

STRIPED TOP


Among the stash of $1-a-bag scrap I got recently was a piece of  striped knit fabric. Soft and warm, perfect for the coming winter. 


I am finally happy to be able to use this sewing pattern which I bought from Spotlight sale a long time ago for $2. I used the Small size pattern for this top but the top is still slightly baggy for her.

This is my initiation ceremony working with knit fabric and I am loving it! Knit fabrics do not fray and not flimsy , therefore does not get in your way much. It is also a very forgiving fabric, allowing you to stretch to accommodate unmatched seam.

I have used straight stitch to join the seams and sew seams 2 times close to each other. Eventhough the pattern instruction tells me to stretch the fabric, I disobeyed it and followed the tips on sewmamasew.com. Though it is not necessary to finish the hem as knit fabric do not fray, I still finished it with a zig-zag stitch.


To personalise the top, I created the stencil of the letter "A"-  her initial - using the font "Forte" enlarged to 700 points on Words document. The material for the stencil is a fluffy soft pink fleece from the same stash. To applique the stencil, I stitched in in place with a straight stitch and finished it with a zig-zag stitch.

She was super excited and profusedly thanked me and proudly wore it to school today!!



No comments:

Post a Comment