Wednesday, June 6, 2012

STRIPED BABY BLANKET WITH WAVY QUILTING


The arrival of another friend's baby girl prompted the making of this baby blanket. Instead of making the same baby blanket as I have before, I decided to go for a pattern that I could whip up quickly within a day and a half  minus the time taken to complete my daily chores, netball game etc.

Lucky me, Spotlight is having a sale. I bought a selection of material for about $10 and used some from my stash.

This blanket was inspired by  bijou lovely. I just love the simplicity and practicality of this design. I cut the pieces at random length spanning from 2 to 6 inches the width of the material - 45".

The binding is from a linen table cloth. It proved to be a bit too thick, so it was quite a challenge to get a neat  binding, nonetheless, I soldiered on with a bit of sore fingers after!


This is also the first time I am using wavy quilting to quilt the blanket and I just love the freedom and randomness of this free-motion technique. Watch out for more similar projects!

As I have done before, the batting is an old flannel flat sheet and the backing is also flannel which I bought for $3, thus making the blanket slightly thinner.


In hindsight, I would probably cut some strips of the panel shorter so that more varied patterned and coloured panels can be added. In future projects, I would also probably use a darker coloured thread for the wavy stitches for contrast and to give the pattern more visibility.

I am however, quite pleased with this first effort! Sending out this blanket to a precious baby girl with much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment